Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. CAD Designer II, III or IV (IRC24946) in Westminster, Colorado
This is a professional position responsible for developing and providing engineering support and design for Engineers including detailing the physical layout, materials, design standards, specifications, applicable codes, and procedures needed for the development of new or modified transmission lines utilizing computer-aided design (CAD) software to complete related technical design work. Perform basic related engineering analysis and design calculations. Checks, verifies, and provides quality control for own designs as well as the designs of other designers and engineering staff, as required.
Note: There is only one vacancy. Applicants will be considered for a II, III or IV level position based on overall job qualifications.
Salary Grade: CAD Designer II - NB17, III - NB18, IV - NB20
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES(Duties listed below are for a CAD Designer IV. Duties for a II or III level are similar but may vary in overall responsibility, accountability and scope.)
- Responsible for identifying civil/structural design criteria and following applicable engineering design codes, standards, and specifications for the development of new or modified transmission lines.
- Create/Customize new or existing civil/structural drawings to meet the design criteria for new or existing transmission lines.
- Develop and perform basic related engineering analysis and design calculations.
- Develop bill of material sheets for new or existing facilities, and order materials as necessary for assigned projects.
- Check, verify, and provide quality control for own designs as well as the designs of other designers and engineering staff.
- Interface between Drawing Control and technical areas to coordinate project activities, and to provide training and direction on design standards.
- Provide end users with accurate and accessible information in support of facility planning, operation and maintenance.
- Work with Engineering, operations, and maintenance personnel to assess, consolidate, organize, and correct deficiencies in existing facility design drawings, data, and other related documentation.
- Responsible for maintaining functional area drafting, CAD, and design standards.
- Develop processes and procedures to improve efficiency and quality of CAD designs for assigned projects and facilities.
- Prepare time to complete estimates to inform work load, resource availability, and budgets.
- Coordinate/Contribute to the preparation and modifications of project schedules.
- Conduct CAD design activities on special projects, as requested.
- Prepare reports for design projects as required.
- Assist with training of personnel.
- Work within deadlines.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, PLS-CADD, AutoCAD, BlueCielo Meridian, and other related applications.
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Ability to work independently, with limited direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Training
- Associate's Degree in Drafting, Engineering Technology including, Electrical, Electronic, Civil, Mechanical or other related engineering technology area or technical discipline or equivalent combination of related education and/or experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices, design standards, codes, rules and regulations affecting the electric utility industry.
- Ability to read and understand civil/structural drawings and develop reports, physical arrangements, details, and diagrams for transmission lines.
- Broad knowledge of engineering principles and practices, analysis, design, electrical theory, and transmission lines.
- Expertise with AutoCAD software and computer systems and an ability to develop design tools.
- Ability to coordinate and work closely with Electrical/Civil/Telecommunications Engineers, Designers, Drafters, Technicians, Contractors, Member System Personnel, and others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and perform basic related engineering calculations.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Ability to coordinate work for others.
Experience: (Experience requirements listed below are for a CAD Designer IV. Applicants with less experience will be considered for a level II or III position based on overall experience and job qualifications.)
- Six (6) years of progressive experience in electrical/electronic/civil/mechanical engineering design work in an industrial/commercial environment, including CAD experience. Experience with electric utility transmission and generation facilities preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required. (Must possess a valid driver's license.)
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Certification through AutoCAD University
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to sit for long periods of time and occasionally stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level and push/pull objects of varying weights, and lift up to twenty-five pounds. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear.
Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to a moderate level of noise. All of the duties are performed indoors and at a desk, operating office equipment.
Job Title: CAD Designer II, III or IV (IRC24946)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: HQ - Westminster, CO
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran